Have a question about rates or our rate request?If you don't find an answer here, please contact us. We're here to help.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Peoples Gas must invest in new – and upgrade existing – infrastructure to serve this growth, as well as hire additional team members to operate and maintain the expanding system.
- Like other businesses, Peoples Gas has been impacted by higher-than-expected inflation, labor market challenges, supply chain disruptions and rising interest rates..
A. The base rate increase will vary by customer rate class and will take effect in the first billing cycle of January 2024. Typical residential customers with annual consumption between 100 and 249 therms and billed on the RS-2 rate will see an increase of around $7 on their total monthly bills. Typical commercial customers with annual consumption between 2,000 and 9,999 therms and billed on the GS-1 rate will see an increase of around 13% on their total monthly bills. Learn more about the proposed residential and business rates.
- Invested in the safety of the public, our system and our people by by enhancing how we protect our underground pipelines from contractors digging around the state.
- Helped residential and commercial customers save more than 1.7 million therms of natural gas through conservation programs.
- Connected nearly 21,000 residential customers to ways to save energy through our free online energy audit.
- Continued to be a leader in customer satisfaction, according to J.D. Power studies.
- Added approximately 40,000 (ten percent increase) and approximately 1,500 (four percent increase) new residential and commercial customers, respectively.
- Added approximately 1,200 miles of main and service lines to serve growth.
- Invested in critical technology to better manage and streamline our operations and enhance customer service.
- Deployed new technology, such as GPS and barcoding and MobileGuard, to operate and maintain our gas distribution system more efficiently.
A. We partner with non-profit organizations who provide assistance to those needing help. Should you need assistance, we offer programs to support our residential and business customers as well as flexible payment arrangements for residential and business customers. We also provide opportunities for our customers to qualify for cash-back rebates through our residential and business conservation programs.
A. Our free online energy audit helps our residential customers manage their energy usage and spend. A variety of appliance calculators also are available to help customers pinpoint opportunities for savings. If you’re thinking of replacing or upgrading with more energy-efficient appliances, we offer cash-back rebates for residential and commercial customers.
- Base rates make up about half of a total bill and cover the costs of the pipes, maintenance and customer service to get natural gas to its point of use, but not the cost of the gas itself.
- The other half is made up of charges passed through from natural gas suppliers and municipalities to our customers with no markup or profit to Peoples Gas.
A. As the company has grown, Peoples Gas consistently provides our customers with a superior customer experience. 2023 marked the 11th consecutive year we ranked highest in the south midsize segment of the J.D. Power Gas Utility residential customer study. 2022 was the fourth year in a row and sixth time since 2016 that we were highest in the south segment of the business study.